torek, 1. junij 2010

Google Translate – a tool that gives me headaches

I recently had a friend tell me that I am too nice in my blog posts, when I only speak positively about my experiences with different tools. So I thought I’d try it the other way around this time. I asked myself did I in my years of using the Internet more intensively encounter any tool that I disliked. I didn’t have to think long, because I remembered it in a second – Google Translate!
This simple tool was designed (as you can probably tell from the name) by Google and its purpose is to translate text to 57 different world languages. When you think about it, the idea of this tool is great. You could translate foreign text into your own language and so make it easier to understand something and not bother with searching the words in different vocabularies (if by some chance you have it in your home). You just insert a text into it, choose a language, press ‘’translate’’ and you get your translation. Easy, right? Wrong! The translations that come out of that tool are horrible and in most cases incomprehensible. Just for illustration, I dare you to type in the name of the first Slovenian theater plays called ''Ta veseli dan ali Matiček se ženi'' (the correct, word for word translation would be This happy day or Matthew is getting married) and then translate it from Slovenian language to English. Google Translate is probably OK for some simple and basic phrases, but if you want to translate something more complicated than ‘’I live in Slovenia’’, you might want to use some other translation source. It is better to spend a little more time and energy by translating word for word out of a dictionary than the headaches I get when I try to use Google translate. I know I am a little bit harsh, but I really don’t have any positive experience with it and so I don’t have anything nice to say about it. Do you?

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar