torek, 13. april 2010

Researching new collaboration tools: SlideShare

Lately, I have been thinking how many useful tools (for professional, for educational or just for private use only) exist on the Internet. On one hand I am very sad, because in our four years of studying on FDV, no one told us about them and made our study work much easier, but on the other hand, I am grateful that through our study course New media and society we have the chance now to get to know those tools – I’m sure that from now on we will use them as often as we can. With this said, yesterday, while searching for the perfect tool for online presentations that we must make, I came across a tool named SlideShare and just have to share my thoughts on it with others. It is free and you just have to sign up for it on the Internet. The main function of the tool it is to enable its users to share their presentations online, to their geographically dispersed ‘’listeners’’. I talk about this function as its main one, but is certainly isn’t the only one. On SlideShare one can:

- view & download presentations, documents, pdfs etc on any topic one likes
- embed into blogs, websites & wikis
- upload any formats: ppt, pptx, doc, docx, pdf, odp, Apple Keynote, IWork pages etc.
- create a webinar or audio presentation using free slidecasting tool
- embed YouTube Videos inside one's SlideShare presentations
- use event functionality to send conference invites, archive slide decks, publicise one's event etc.
- build mashups & widgets using free APIs (for developers) (source: SlideShare.net)

As it is possible to see, the range of SlideShare’s functions is wide enough that everyone can use it on one opportunity or another. Because I have an online presentation coming up, I tried how it functions and I have to tell you, it is very easy. You can create a group and send an invitation to the people you want to join the group. Then you upload the presentation and the work is done. One of the things I found very useful is that it is also compatible with Google Docs. You can make a presentation there as a group and then easily upload it to SlideShare. Also what I found useful is that the site is almost a whole community – people add their presentations for all to see and they connect themselves into groups with common interests. Therefore, one can find a lot of presentations on a certain subject and can upload their own. One can also comment on those presentations and therefore contribute to their quality.
SlideShare is really not a complicated tool to use, but has a range of functions that need to be more thoroughly researched if the purpose of its use is more than just for fun or for educational presentations sharing.

5 komentarjev:

  1. Hello Ines,
    I really liked presentation of your group on Wednesday course; therefore I was interested in reading your post. I am also disappointed because of ignorance of available online tools by our faculty professors and I am impresses and enthusiastic about number of information and tools that New Media & Society course had already introduced.
    After reading your SlideShare introduction, I decided to try out this tool, because of some inconvenience using Prezi incorporated in WebEx conference platform. It was working way to slow for normal presentation that is way I will rather use this tool, you recommended, in the cases when I will not be sure how other presentation tools are working. SlideShare's functions are obviously really wide and appropriate for different opportunities.

    Best,
    Maja

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. I agree with Maja. I also liked your presentation on Wednesday and I think that SlideShare is so easy to use and so versatile. Although Prezi is interesting for the eyes but like Maja is saying, SlideShare is quicker and more appropriate for WebEx.
    And I am also too disappointed in Slovenian professors because there are so many tools which could make our study so much more interesting and not to mention their jobs more versatile, like Mendeley or Prezi, but they just does want to try to follow changes in new technology. For me it is sad that I am learning about variety of tools in my last student year.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. I have to agree with all of you and share my dissapointment of not learning about the very useful tools available for free earlier. I was pretty impressed with Prezi software, but the SlideSHare also amused me. I have to say that I didn't know that such tools existed and if I did, it would be much easier for me during this 5 years of study.
    The sharing of the presentation is useful, because the Power Point (which I use for presentations) file is usualy big (100 MB and more) and you cannot send it by email. If you are working in groups you just simply add your presentation to SlideShare and the other member of the group can see it or download it, and then upload it again. Perfect I must say.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I must agree with you all. At this point of our study we should know more about different tolls that Internet provides us. Prezi, SlideShare and Webex are just some of them. It is true that nobody told us before that we can use all of these tools which can really simplify our lives during our college years. But some fault lies also in us, students. As far as I know, nobody tried to discover it on their own.
    Furthermore, our presentation was made in Google Docs as I remember. Although, I really liked SlideShare and Prezi also. Too bad that we did not use it before.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. I agree with you, Iris, that it is our fault to some extent that we don't know these tools, because we didn't look for them on our own. But the fact is that even if we did, there was never any chance of using them for our school work before. Our presentations were always face-to-face, so Webex and similar tools were unnecessary, and all we needed was a USB key and port. The problem here lies in the ''booring'' old-fasion way of listening to (and taking part in) lectures, when it can be more fun and interesting. When we have all this technology, why not use it, right?
    @Maja and Tanja: thank you for the compliments for our presentation, but like Iris said, this was done with Google Docs, not SlideShare. A great tool as well, maybe even more as SlideShare, because if you have a Google accont (and most of us do thesedays), you don't have to log on extra just for that.

    OdgovoriIzbriši